I switched over to Arch and spent a long time trying to get my mouse working properly. Here is a quick and easy guide to getting Logitech MX Revolution mouse working.
Install the needed software
# pacman -S xbindkeys xvkbd xautomation
- xbindkeys is a program that allows you to launch shell commands with your keyboard or your mouse under X Window. It links commands to keys or mouse buttons, using a configuration file.
- xvkbd is a virtual (graphical) keyboard program for X Window System which provides facility to enter characters onto other clients (softwares) by clicking on a keyboard displayed on the screen.
- xautomation Control X from the command line for scripts, and do "visual scraping" to find things on the screen. The control interface allows mouse movement, clicking, button up/down, key up/down, etc,
Edit you xorg.conf file
Insert this text in the mouse section
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
#Option "XAxisMapping" "6 7" #uncomment if you want horizontal scrolling with mouse wheel
Option "Buttons" "17"
Create your xbindkeys configuration file
# touch ~/.xbindkeysrc
Edit your xbindkeys configuration file
Here is my file:
"/usr/bin/xvkbd -text "\[Alt_L]\[Left]""
m:0x0 + b:8
"/usr/bin/xvkbd -text "\[Alt_L]\[Right]""
m:0x0 + b:9
# next tab
"/usr/bin/xvkbd -text "\[Control_L]\[Page_Up]""
m:0x0 + b:13
# previous tab
"/usr/bin/xvkbd -text "\[Control_L]\[Page_Down]""
m:0x0 + b:15
# undo closed tab
"/usr/bin/xvkbd -text "\[Control_L]\[Shift]\[t]""
m:0x0 + b:16
# mouse wheel left middle click
"xte 'mouseclick 2'"
# mouse wheel right middle click
"xte 'mouseclick 2'"
- I used xvkbd to emulate key combinations on my controller
and xte to emulate middle click
- use these examples to configure your own system
I didn't enjoy the search button so I turned it into a middle click button also
Add the foll0wing to
# Enable mouse button emulation
dev.mac_hid.mouse_button_emulation = 1
# Set 2nd button to 217 - the middle button of MX Revolution mouse.
dev.mac_hid.mouse_button2_keycode = 217
Here is a reference for all the MX Revolution
# b:1 - left mouse button
# b:2 - left and right mouse button together
# b:3 - right mouse button
# b:4 - mouse wheel up
# b:5 - mouse wheel down
# b:6 - mouse wheel left
# b:7 - mouse wheel right
# b:8 - back button
# b:9 - forward button
# b:10 - -none-
# b:11 - -none-
# b:12 - -none-
# b:13 - media wheel up
# b:14 - -none-
# b:15 - media wheel down
# b:16 - -none-
# b:17 - media wheel press